The Old Ford Exploder has gone to the Big Junkyard In The Sky.
That was one great car and we had a lot of fun with it.
I bought it right after my little sickly runt of a baby came home from the hospital because of all the medical junk that he needed that wouldn't fit in the little pickup truck I had 21 years ago.
I told my husband: "I'm gonna go to (Big Name Used Car Dealer). I'm gonna buy the biggest car I can find, I'm gonna buy the first car I see, and I'm not even gonna test drive it."
He said "You're crazy. No one buys a car like that."
But I have to say that car was the best used car I've ever owned!

I knew that car inside and out and asked to car to do so many things that it wasn't really designed for.

My favorite days with it were the ones where we drove "in the river" and off-roaded it up and over the mountains, while avoiding boulders and cacti, to get to a small, walled in spring at a friend's ranch hidden Deep in the Heart of Texas (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPiDgMZh7C4). ONG! The snake! OMG! the time well all got hypothermia  from sitting in the spring too long on a day when the outside temperature was 104 degrees!


Remember, this car is not a 4 wheel drive and it was completely full of small kids then. So I let them drive back, of course.

And, no, I won't tell you where this place is, so don't ask. 


One time, we hit a roadside fruit stand during peach season. I wasn't paying enough attention and at least one kid had a peach orgy in the rear seat, spreading mushed-up peaches on every inch of that section of the car.


Even without "testing" this car befre I bought it, it was the best car I ever bought.
Better than the one I paid a professional to inspect on cold February day only to find the AC didn't work as things warmed up.
Better than the one that blew a fuse at every stoplight so I had to time the lights to make sure I had enough time to pop the hood and replace the fuse before the light turned green.
Better than the one that threw a rod and went out in am impressive blaze of smoking glory. 
Or the one that caught fire on the highway.

We were talking about what to do with the old Ford Explorer, but my husband is just so danged loyal to his vehicles and it's a whole lot easier to just let it sit in the driveway. He almost cried when we took his old junker to the crusher during the "Cash for Clunkers" national trade in. We got a $3500.00 credit for that beast, whose Kelly Bluebook value was about $350.00, and used the credit to buy the first new car we had ever owned.
The Ford barely runs but dear hubby managed to somehow, by hook or by crook, get it to pass inspection again this year.
The registration has been out for exactly one year now. Hubby was going to renew the registration tomorrow and we were talking about letting that once-sickly-runt-of-a-boy drive it once registered and legal to be on the road again.
We were joking about how it was gonna break down somewhere along the road and how handsome-young-son would have to walk home from wherever he was when that happened.
A healthy challenge for a young man or a danger? Hmmm.
When that happened, and it would, we were then planning to leave the broken down thing on the side of the road and let it get impounded. Then we wouldn't have "to do anything" about that old car. It would quietly disappear.
We've both left plenty of junkers along the side of the road and laughed when we got our impound notices.
Yeah. Not paying. Keep it. And thanks for hauling it away!
I had just looked up the Kelly Bluebook on the old Ford yesterday and saw that it was worth about 400-600 bucks when today, a nice guy knocked on our door and asked about it.
Sold! $500.00!
He and his brother have a business and are going to part it out.
Win Win!
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Mewling, puking babes, " Jean Shepherd

Goodbye to my daughter.

Kevin Spacey